Date of Birth: 4 October 1989, Austin.Texas, USA
Birth Name: Dakota Mayi Johnson
Height: 5′ 7½” (1.71 m)
Dakota Mayi Johnson is an American fashion model and actress. She was born in Austin, Texas, and is the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. Her maternal grandmother is actress Tippi Hedren.
In 1999, she made her film debut in Crazy in Alabama (1999), where she and her half-sister, Stella Banderas, played the daughters to their real-life mother, Melanie Griffith. The film was directed by her stepfather, Antonio Banderas, but it wasn’t a hit. Dakotaresumed her schooling and waited several years before she decided to become a professional actress and model. In 2006, she was voted Miss Golden Globe, a launching pad bestowed on off-spring of famous parents. She served as the first second-generation Miss Golden Globe in the Globes’ history, since her mother was Miss Golden Globe in 1975. She also signed with IMG Models. In 2009, she modeled for MANGO brand’s jeans line. Dakota traveled to Sydney, Australia, where she shot the “Rising Star” campaign for fashion label, “Wish”. Once she graduated from high school, she signed with the William Morris Agency and started her acting career. She had her first box office hit in 2010 with David Fincher’s film, The Social Network (2010), in which she had a scene with Justin Timberlake. The film received eight Oscar nominations, including one for Best Picture. She also appeared in three additional films: Beastly(2011), alongside Vanessa Hudgens and Mary-Kate Olsen; Ezna Sands’ film, Chloe and Theo (2015); and So Yong Kim’s film, For Ellen (2012); She had roles in several 2012 films: Christopher Neil’s film, Goats (2012), with David Duchovny; Nicholas Stoller’s film, The Five-Year Engagement (2012), for producer Judd Apatow, and the hit feature film version of the 1987 television show, 21 Jump Street (1987), that made Johnny Depp a star. She also won the female lead in Chris Nelson’s, film Date and Switch(2014), written by Alan Yang. Her first television show, Ben and Kate (2012), where she played “Kate”, aired on Fox during the Fall 2012 season. It was canceled in 2013, and she quickly resumed her feature film career with three high-profile films: “Need for Speed,” the modern-day adaptation of the William Shakespeare play “Cymbeline,” and the starring role of Anastasia in the adaptation of the best-selling erotic novel “Fifty Shades of Grey.”
- Daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
- Has two maternal half-siblings: Stella Banderas and Alexander Bauer, her mother’s son with Steven Bauer.
- Has four paternal half-siblings: Jesse Johnson, Grace (b. 1999), Jasper (b. 2002), and Deacon Johnson (b. 2006).
- Good friends with Riley Keough.
- Step-daughter of Antonio Banderas.
- Born in Austin, Texas and Melanie’s OB GYN was Noble Doss. Pictures of Melanie can be seen in Dr. Doss’s photo album in his office.
- She is the third generation to be involved with the Golden Globes, as she was Miss Golden Globe in 2006, is the daughter of Don Johnson (Golden Globe winner for Miami Vice (1984)) and Melanie Griffith (Golden Globe winner for Working Girl (1988)), and granddaughter of Tippi Hedren (Golden Globe winner for Most Promising Newcomer, 1964).
- She denied that she was in a a 30 day rehab program at the Visions Teen Treatment Center in Malibu for drug and alcohol addiction in September 2007. She said that the press misinterpreted the fact that she was in therapy as a teenager because of some issues with her parents, who have both battled substance abuse.
- Niece of actress Tracy Griffith and production designer Clay A. Griffith.
- Granddaughter of Peter Griffith.
- She took down her Facebook profile, because she didn’t like being on it, even though she acted in the hit film The Social Network (2010) which is about the origins of Facebook.
- Was considered one of the 55 faces of the future by Nylon Magazine’s Young Hollywood Issue (May 2010).
- On the audio commentary for the DVD release of The Social Network (2010), directorDavid Fincher said that Dakota was “wonderful” in a “pretty thankless role,” since she has only one scene as Justin Timberlake’s one-night stand.
- Once lived with musician Noah Gersh and later with actor Jordan Masterson.
- Landed the coveted role of Anastasia Steele in the film adaptation of the best-selling erotic novel “Fifty Shades of Grey” by reading a long, sexually-explicit monologue from the Ingmar Bergman film Persona (1966). It was an unconventional choice for an audition piece, but Johnson felt that the filmmakers were looking for a leading lady who would address the sexy material in a mature, direct manner. When she advanced to screen testing she re-enacted the first and last chapters of the book with co-star Jamie Dornan.
- As a child, she acted with her mother Melanie Griffith and her half-sister Stella Banderas in “Crazy in Alabama” (1999) but her family wouldn’t let her act again until several years later, after she graduated from high school.
- She appeared in the successful feature film remake of 21 Jump Street (2012), while her aunt Tracy Griffith appeared as a guest star during the original television series of 21 Jump Street (1987) in 1988.
- Director Sean Baker considered casting Dakota and her real-life grandmother Tippi Hedren together in his film Starlet (2012) before deciding on Besedka Johnson and Dree Hemingway.
- At 25 years old in 2014, and with just a handful of credits, she has already acted with many popular sexy men in her films, such as Channing Tatum, Jamie Dornan, Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch, Justin Timberlake, Aaron Paul, Alex Pettyfer, Chris Pratt,Penn Badgley, Paul Dano, Jason Segel, Ralph Fiennes, Ethan Hawke, Anton Yelchin.
- She affectionately calls her grandmother Tippi Hedren, “Mormor” (a Swedish word for grandmother). Tippi’s father was of Swedish descent. Dakota’s other ancestry is English, Welsh, German, Norwegian, Scots-Irish (Northern Irish), Irish, Scottish, and distant Dutch.
- She is close friends with Nashville-based decorator Emily Ward, who happens to be the wife of The Black Keys drummer Patrick J. Carney.
- Claims that she never casually dated men, and that she always had long-term relationships with her boyfriends.
- Like her grandmother Tippi Hedren, Dakota is also a animal rights activist, since she saved twelve horses from being killed by paying for them in 2014.
- Her Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) director Sam Taylor-Johnson recommended her to director Luca Guadagnino, who cast her in the remake of La piscine (1969) in the role originated by Jane Birkin. She was nervous stepping into the role that she landed just days before filming, but her co-star Academy Award winner Tilda Swinton calmed her down and affectionately nicknamed her “Cousin Duckie”.
- Prior to landing the role of Anastasia Steele, Johnson’s most recognized roles included being Sean Parker’s one night stand in The Social Network (2010), a high school student in 21 Jump Street (2012), and a neurotic ex-girlfriend in The Five-Year Engagement(2012). All three roles are considered by many to be scene stealing, but they totaled less screen time than the average music video.
- She did not tell anyone about being involved in the auditioning process for the role of Anastasia Steele. She has said that if the project fell through or she wasn’t selected she didn’t want to have to explain herself or the process repeatedly. After she was cast as Anastasia, she couldn’t tell anyone for weeks as the studio prepared an official casting announcement.
- After being selected for the role of Anastasia Steele, she screen-tested with over 20 actors before the studio decided on who to cast as Christian Grey.
- Johnson replaced Abby Elliott as a young, single mother named Kate on the short-lived Fox sitcom, Ben and Kate (2012). The show lasted only 16 episodes before being canceled by the network. The final three episodes were never aired in the UnitedStates.
- Johnson started an exercise routine to prepare for Fifty Shades of Grey (2015), but not just because she wanted to look good on screen. She wanted Anastasia to have the appearance of an average, active college student.
- She had to apply body make-up to cover her tattoos for Fifty Shades of Grey (2015). Her tattoos are visible in every other project and photo shoot she has done.
- Johnson auditioned in front of Judd Apatow for a role in HBO’s Girls (2012) but was not selected. Apatow later recommended her for a small role as a neurotic, sex-obsessed girlfriend named Audrey in The Five-Year Engagement (2012), which he produced. Her performance as Audrey caught the attention of Jake Kasdan who cast her as a last-minute replacement in Ben and Kate (2012).
- She reportedly beat out Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Olsen, Shailene Woodley, Lucy Hale,Chloe Bridges Felicity Jones, Kristen Stewart, and her Need for Speed (2014) co-starImogen Poots to land the coveted role of Anastasia in the box-office hit Fifty Shades of Grey (2015).
- Johnson did not utilize a body double for any scenes in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) except for one BDSM scene. A double was used for a scene involving the character, Anastasia, being whipped with a belt. Johnson did not want to participate in the scene to avoid personal injury and to avoid her body being marked in any way.
- Whenever she is truly laughing she cries. She has stated that it has become a nuisance on film sets because she has to constantly have her make-up touched up in between takes.
- Announced during the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary special on February 15, 2015 that she was set to host SNL on February 28, 2015.
- Attended the New Roads School in Santa Monica, CA for three years.
- Has said her biggest sacrifice was accepting the role of Anastasia Steele because the entire world can see her completely naked.
- Three things she always carries in her purse: keys, chap-stick, and candy.
- Her favorite song on the Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) soundtrack is “Beast of Burden” by The Rolling Stones.
- Johnson took a flogger and several pairs of underwear from the set of Fifty Shades of Grey (2015). She took the underwear claiming they were too comfortable to leave behind.
- Her favorite book is the 1955 novel, Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov.
- Was a presenter at the 87th annual Academy Awards on February 22, 2015. Johnson attended the ceremony with her mother, Melanie Griffith.
- Ended her relationship with Welsh model, Matthew Hitt, in February 2015 after three months.